15 February 2009

TYPE4: crazy grid stuff











In my earlier post (from last week), on the pentagonal grid structure, I was trying to explore structures beyond something based on squares. It was interesting though that as I messed around with how they were overlapped and worked with, that they still took on a square form- they looked like 3d cubes. I morphed type into the grid, skewing every letter to fit, so that they too took on a cube shape. I thought it was interesting how they fit together, but I found it hard to push any further than that. I made a different kind of pentagonal grid structure, but hated how it turned out... so I moved on to something new. 

Here in this post I'm exploring gridded letterforms, creating some new faces, and trying to keep restraints and rules to follow, making a cohesive set. Then I began working with morphing the letterform by drawing it onto folded/crumpled grid paper, and then unfolding. I found it interesting how the pieces connected and formed something new, but I'm not sure what I learned from it... 

I guess what I'm saying is that I need some help, because I just feel like jumping around and dabbling in lots of different typographical areas- I don't know where I want to focus. I did come up with a list of questions before I began exploring, I'll post those:

How can a typographic grid be three-dimensional?
How can a strict grid become fluid?
How can a grid structure change over time?
How can a grid suggest personality?
How can multiple separate grids combine to create something new?
How would a grid be created out of shapes besides squares?
How can the grid 'cells' overlap?
How can an existing grid be manipulated into a new grid structure?
How can a grid structure be completely hidden?
How can a grid structure be not a grid structure?
How can found structures be used in typography?
How can a pre-existing typeface be manipulated to fit into a specified grid?

No comments: