01 April 2008

INFOGRAPHIC DRAFTING



Where would you find the bundt pan in grandma's house?... or the virginia slims?



Thinking of ideas to go with... looking at the initial relationships between a house and a map of the world. How could they tie together and be cohesive?


My first stab at tying the world map and the grandmother's home together- finding the relationship between a blueprint of a home and a map- similar shapes/sizes?... layout?... How can the layout of the icons match up between both maps? (As in their country of origin as well as where they would generally be located in an old woman's home?)


Here I tried taking a break from my map idea... looking at a timeline instead, to emphasize time period over location. I found this very boring and stale, not tying into my theme or article at all, and too overdone.


blueprint ideas


Look! Grandma's house!!


world map inspiration


So then going back to my original idea, I expanded my ideas, creating my own blueprint of a home that would fit in better with the layout of the countries of the world. I like the idea of juxtaposing two different locations of each of my icons on top of each other, being in the exact same place on the page, but meaning two completely separate things... the 'micro/macro' views of my icon set.


I used a transparency here to help me map out my blueprint so it would fit nicely and proportionately into my world map.

So after this exercise, I am understanding the links between old lady's home and the world origins within the context of my set better, and that is what I really want to focus on in my infographic...
Right now, I have the dates of when each of my objects were invented just over-layed on top of my icons or next to them on my maps, but I'm not sure if that's the right answer yet. I am thinking that if it doesn't get too complicated, to somehow render my map in 3-D, so that I can make the vertical axis time frame; kind of like 3-D bars in a bar graph rising from each icon on my map... we'll see how that goes.

2 comments:

jamie said...

Laura, this articulation of your evolving thought process and visual research is fantastic.

Are you finding this "collecting and curating methodology" is informing, expanding, assisting your design process?

Laura Berglund said...

Definitely...
it really inspires me to keep working- so I arrive at something beyond what I originally had in mind. It also really enriches my work experience, making my thought processes deeper than what they would be without my collection of grandma imagery, information, and artifacts. I suppose it just allows me to be more involved in what I do, and more interested in it as well, which in turn makes me want to work more.